Featured Post

Rockin Autism Family

Saturday, May 26, 2018

I Have A First Grader...



    I always knew this day would come though I was told it wouldn't at appropriate age.  Kiddo worked extremely hard to accomplish this.  It is hard to imagine a child that doesn't talk knows all that's needed to move on up that ladder.  He does shock and amaze me daily.  Recently in a moment of clarity I realized he was counting in Spanish.  I guess this shouldn't blow my mind when he is watching youtube videos in all languages but our own.  Well thanks kiddo, It's not like I already have a hard time understanding you.  Once he came home signing his alphabet so I had to learn my ABC's in sign too so I could understand.  Sorry kiddo I am not sure at this age I have the patience to learn in Japanese, Dutch, German and French.  This is how autism works though doesn't it?

    We started this long journey when he was 18 months.  I knew before that things were different.  I kept holding out thinking maybe he is a little behind.  Let's face it, boys do tend to take it a little slower at milestones then girls.  Finally I knew I couldn't wait any longer in fear I would be hurting him by not getting the help he needed.  When we began this autism life he had no words.  The final diagnosis came in around 24 months.  At that point he didn't speak at all.  Only allot of meltdowns, screaming and throwing himself to the ground.  I know you all get this.  It could be chalked up as the terrible two's if you didn't know us personally. I was told at one point that he would never speak. I got him into ECI home therapy and had him in a PPCD school program at three.  He has spent the last three in a half years doing this program and here we are today.  On time, actually going into first grade just like any other 6 year old.  He still doesn't come chat it up with me.  He may never have a conversation with me or become a famous poet.  That's fine with me folks.  What matters is he keeps fighting, keeps learning, and never gives up.  

My message to you parents or caregivers, is to never give up.  Keep fighting the good fight.  Stay strong and never ease up on those therapies.  I thank God daily for our speech therapist.  Connect with your child's support group and stay involved.  Then sit back with me and smile when you see your kiddo accomplish yet another goal.  

Tell me about your child's accomplishments. Let me know your thoughts by hitting the button below.  Remember we are all in this together!  Have a great day Troop...




No comments:

Post a Comment