Featured Post

Rockin Autism Family

Friday, May 11, 2018

School

    I am going to have to say that we have gotten really lucky with public school.  I have read and heard the horror stories of having to have your asd kiddo in public school setting.  It has not been that bad for us, no kidding.  The worst of our currently three years in has been the changing of teachers several times.  Other than that it has been a pretty easy ride.  I will say, and so will my son's school, that I am a very hands on kinda mom.  I communicate with the teachers, the principle, nurse, front door girl and at times paras.  My first IEP meeting went by fairly well even though by that time I heard so many monster stories of how the whole ordeal went down for others.  I will say that I really did not know what to ask or what I was aloud to say.  That went out the window pretty quickly.  By my third meeting I was telling them how things would go.  In fact, I have to laugh at my audacity to request all future meetings to be two hours long so that I could discuss all I needed.  I did not like being told they had other meetings behind me and were pressed for time.  This never happened again.  It is fair to say that they must think I am a little crazed and I have no life due to me talking their ears off.  Let's face it folks, I literally have no adult conversation.  My little man is not exactly verbal so when I talk to him I am usually answering myself too.  Yes, I know this might look like I am in need of a doctor.  Nothing a glass of wine can't fix at end of the day.  My kiddos school has been pretty amazing and accommodating to my child's needs and mine as a parent.  I think this is partly because I am all in when it comes to his education and care.  I've been told not all parents are as vigilant as I can be.  Don't we have to be?  Even if our children didn't need that extra care, these days call for us as parents to know what is going on.  What has helped me in these dreaded meetings is being prepared.  Keep all communication from school pertaining to your kiddo.  Keep different binders for IEP, classroom, doctors, and therapies.  Write down questions you have for your kiddo's teacher, speech pathologist, or paras.  Do not be to speak up and give your concerns or any request you have that can better your child's education or home life.  Remember you are the parent and you know your kiddo best.  They only get them a brief amount of time and they want to hear your suggestions to make it easier at school too.  Let's face it folks, horrible things have happened to some of our special needs in school.  Do not let your child be a part of those statistics.  Be the hands on in your face parent that knows exactly what is going on in classroom and out.  Have the teacher on your speed dial and be on first name basis with your special needs coordinator and the team of teachers and therapist.  Leave no opportunity for your child to fall through the cracks.  If you are not comfortable with what is going on, speak up.  Noticing a change in your little ones demeanor can tip you off to what is going on.  Be the advocate for your child and do not back down.  If you are not happy with the outcome then take it straight to the school board.  Sometimes being the loudest voice in the room is best.  Most importantly,  keep fighting the good fight.  Never forget that their are literally thousands of us fighting with you so reach out if need be.  I am not a doctor, therapist or teacher.  I am however, a parent that won't stop to get the best for my child.  Keep it up troop, we are all in this with you! Have a great day and I hope this gave you a little boost of support and encouragement you might have needed.  I shall go back to sipping this coffee while it's hot...




No comments:

Post a Comment