Featured Post

Rockin Autism Family

Wednesday, May 16, 2018

How To Let Them Do It

 I will be the first to admit letting your asd kiddo do things on their own can be difficult.  Not only for you, but for your special one too.  This is hard to overcome if you have been doing things for your child when you know they get frustrated or haven't gotten it down yet.  Those skills can range from potty training, putting shoes on or off, clothes on or off, brushing teeth, or any everyday activity.  Prince A has come along way this year and struggles daily on little things.  Maybe if I was a parent of only one I wouldn't notice this as much, but I have another son 22 years old.  I have had to learn to sit back and let my son do it on his own.  This year I let go and let him explore what he can and cannot do.  You know what?  I was really surprised on what my little man can do for himself.      
 When at the doctors I would almost always have to practically sit on him to get anything done.  When having to do labs, check ears or throat I would break out in sweat knowing what was coming.  Past several months I took deep breathe and tried explaining calmly what was going to happen.  Then sit back and let him work his way to it.  Don't get me wrong he would whine and fuss, but he would eventually walk up and get it done.  First time this happened I was so shocked!  His whining and fussing is his anxiety kicking in.  Letting him work through this on his own I think gave him a sense of independence and assurance he could do it on his time.  I let the doctor know what I was doing so that they could be patient with us and it has gone smoothly.  Even if your child has no special needs letting go can be hard on us as parents.  Keep in mind our children are strong.  They fight a battle everyday and come out winning.  If I indulge him with every whimper then how will he learn to make it in this world if I am gone?  This is a weight upon all our minds.  I want him to tie his shoes, get dressed, and bathe himself and I know he can do it.  Keep on loving your kiddos and hug them tightly at night, but during the day, let them do it...

No comments:

Post a Comment