Featured Post

Rockin Autism Family

Thursday, June 7, 2018

Autism & Eating

      Hello AutismRockz FAM!  I kinda like FAM, obviously short for family.  I mean, lets face it we are all family, right?  Topic of the day is diet.  What kind of things work in your home an what has or hasn't worked for us.  I am just going to lay the hard core facts out there for all to bare witness.  We fail big time in this area.  I am sure you are aware of your kiddos sensory issues.  My little man has a knack for only eating crunchy foods and none of it healthy.  We have all heard the judgement of others with those spoken words of they will eat what you put out when they are hungry just don't give them what they want.  After I scream into my fist, I then just laugh and laugh!  I was never a overindulgent eater.  In fact, I was always about my health and appearance so eating healthy and visiting a gym was of top importance to me.  I battle with my own health issues so these things were on top of my list.  So the lack of a healthy meal for my child was a blow to my ideals.  His diet right now consist of pop tarts, pretzles, potato chips, apples, crackers, chicken nuggets, fries,veggie sticks, goldfish, dry cereal and Sunny D.  I know, pretty amazing huh?  He literally eats ten pounds of apples a week sometimes more.  I do get gluten free chips and gluten free cereal.  Never said I had to roll over.  He eats these types of foods of course because of spd or sensory processing disorder.  Anything crunchy usually we can get him to try, smell or touch.  He recently shocked me to the core by taking a bite outta pizza and eating a bowl with peanut butter by spoon.  He did that for a week and now won't touch it.  Safe to say getting this kid on a casein free or keto diet is out of the question.  Of course I know this would probably help yet, if you know anything about autism you know we cannot force anything upon them.  How do I adjust him so he isn't loosing out of the nutrients he desperately needs?  I give him probiotics for good gut health and he gets a good dose of vitamins and minerals.  This is the best I can do without him shutting down and starving.  I try my best not to feel as a total looser and I take it day by day.  Let's face it folks, we have so many other things to battle with so I don't make what he puts in his mouth as one of them.
What have you tried?  What diet is best in your household?  Let me hear any suggestions you have.  Please share your experience with me.  Don't forget to click that subscribe button to hear more about what goes on in the AutismRockz family....

No comments:

Post a Comment