Featured Post

Rockin Autism Family

Thursday, May 3, 2018

Mood Swings, Meltdowns & Exhaustion


Many children have mood swings, but for some reason if you throw autism in the mix coupled with sensory processing disorder, it can feel like a hurricane.  Then don't you dare allow that mood swing turn into tantrum then the big "M" or you will be huddled in a corner wishing you could tap into a barrel of aged wine.  These moods tend to come in waves with no explanation at times which can leave you feeling exhausted.  Trying to figure out why or how it all started will make our head spin.  Once you think you have it all figured out it changes in the wind and you must  begin the process all over.  These days can be tough, but there is a light at the end of that tunnel.  Take solace in the knowledge that your not alone.  Yesterday the teacher text to inform me my kiddo was sleepy all day so she let him nap for thirty minutes.  When she woke him he was extremely upset pointing and screaming and she couldn't comfort him.  He ended up headbutting her.  If you know my little man you know that you should never wake him. That is a big no no.  His being upset caused meltdown which caused headbutting.  I felt sorry my child caused another pain.  Then it hit me that my little guy is getting bigger and if you don't understand him he can get aggressive in this state.  This makes me nervous and afraid for what may come.  I usually don't get these meltdowns at home.  It's like he comes home and feels safe and understood so he doesn't need to explode with frustration.  I'm not saying I haven't dealt with some in your face meltdowns.  It just seems they are far and few here at home.  Out in the real world is a different story though.  He gets overwhelmed and anxious.  All the sounds, colors, movement of utter life can throw him into chaos.  Things have gotten better as years have past.  I can remember a time I only left house to get groceries.  If I took him I had to mentally prepare myself for what may come.  It could start with something as simple as backing up in reverse in the car.   One thing I have learned is that this things can recycle and come back with a vengeance.  I can honestly say that my experience has brought me to the conclusion that most episodes stem from needing sensory input, either calming or heavy lifting.  The other reason is lack of communication.  His frustration is clear as day when he can't express what he wants.  This is even worse when he is trying so hard to talk.  So when he attempts the words, but we fail to get it, he looses control.  I cannot imagine being on the brink of seven years old and not being able to just tell all the grown ups in your world what you want.  I am very proud how far he has come.  I know jumping into action early on helped.  We as parents live with struggles of our kiddos and we push on.  That's all we really can do.  When these days of tantrums and meltdowns get to you and you think you just can't go on remember your not alone.  There is another family possibly closer then you think, going thru it too.  Then gain your composure, pull your hair back and sip on that glass of wine because you deserve it!

No comments:

Post a Comment